Saturday, September 07, 2013

Dairy-Free Buns


I am going milk free, instead of buying organic whole milk, I am switching to unsweetened almond milk (but planning to make my own almond milk).  I am still buying organic yogurt (occasionally, but thinking of stopping it), butter and natural cheese though, just not the milk.  And then I realized that lots of my baking recipes used milk in the recipe.  So, again I had to experiment with my old recipe again.  This is a soft bun recipe that I loved and luckily it worked out well with almond milk.  Hence, my first dairy-free bun uses almond milk was created.  I am not sure but it might work with just plain water, who wants to experiment?


This dairy-free bun is soft and fluffy and goes so well with my matcha kaya!  Next experiment will be to play with the whole wheat version of this bun.  These days, I mostly make my own bread/bun or buy organic bread or all natural bread from Sprouts or Whole Food.  Please read the ingredient list, not all the breads are created equal!  



Ingredients:

400ml unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp. soften butter
4 tsp. cane sugar
3 1/2 cup unbleached bread flour
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. instant yeast

1.  Add everything according to list into your bread maker.  Turn it to Dough function.

2.  When done, take it out and shape into buns and let it proof for 1 hour or until double in size, whichever comes first.

3.  Brush the top with egg wash.  Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.  Bake in preheated 375'F oven for 12-14 minutes.

4.  Let cool on wire rack completely before storing it in an air-tight container.  Or freeze for later.

~Yield about 18-20 buns, depending on the size.

8 comments:

Veronica said...

Your buns look very soft and beautiful. Like you I have been making bread with homemade almond milk too and substitute butter with rice bran oil. And the bread turned out to be very soft as well. No difference at all with the buns made from milk and butter. It's so easy to make our own almond milk and the almond meal can be used for baking too!

Belinda said...

I'm a lifelong milk drinker and switched to almond milk a while ago - so great to see this working on these!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Veronica. I want to make my own almond milk too because it's easy and without any chemical. However, for the two weeks I was at Sprouts, they were out of raw almonds!!! I truly hope that they will have some this coming Wed.

Cool Belinda, we did the switch! :)

PH said...

Definitely something different using almond milk instead of diary milk.

tigerfish said...

Just curious - is there any special reason to avoid organic whole milk? Making nut-based milk and organic soy bean milk has been in my to-do list for too long! But I don't think I can make enough to last for a whole week as we have milk every morning for breakfast. So for now, still drinking organic whole milk, partially for convenience sake :O

T said...

Since you’re interested in dairy-free bread, you should definitely check out Challah bread recipe. It uses eggs & oil as the softening agent.

daphne said...

I love my almond milk!! This bread looks like it is a big success!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Phong Hong, can't really taste the difference actually. :)

Tigerfish, from my understanding organic milk is still a pasteurized milk (as raw milk is not allowed to sell on the market), so some of the nutritious constituents have been destroyed or altered along with the harmless and useful germs that might benefit our bodies, not just the dangerous germs. So, it's like eating a dead food that void of nutrients. I don't recommend organic soy milk as too much soy is not good for us. It has isoflavones, is a goitrogens just to list a few. Only fermented soy is good for us. The unfermented soy like soy milk, tofu, endame, soyfood, soy nuts, soy bean can be eaten occasionally, not everyday.

I picked almond milk is because almond is good for us, of course homemade is best. I will try to make my own almond milk, but sometimes for convenient, or organic almond milk or Silk GMO free almond milk is on sales, I would buy that instead.

Thanks T, I would check out challah bread recipe.

Yes Daphne, it's a success and delcious too. :)