Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pan Roasting Cod Fillets with Brown Butter Sauce


This dish came in the right moment.  I was wondering how to prepare my cod fillet when I turned on my TV and on the PBS channel was showing AmericanTest Kitchen.  First half of the show was teaching how to sealed scallops and served it with brown butter sauce.  Second half of the show was teaching how to pan-roasting halibut fillets.  So, my cod fillet dish was set after I finished the show.  I was going to pan roast my cod fillets and served it with the brown butter sauce.

I had an accident when pan-roasting my cod fillets.  I forgot to put on my oven mitten when I tried to move the hot pan away and burnt my hand big time (remember I posted on Facebook?).  No only that, I dropped a big piece of my cod fillet on the floor. :-(  It was a burning pain experience for me, luckily the pain stopped the next morning and only left me with a red burn mark on my hand.

So, please take extra caution if you are trying to pan-roasting your fish fillets.  I probably won't be attempting this method again.  Would go for pan-steaming instead.

Verdict:  This dish turned out well and the brown butter sauce is very yummy and goes well with seafood.   But as a health conscious person, I felt that the brown butter sauce might clog my arteries.  :-P Okay, in moderation, not too often would do.





Ingredients:

  • 3 Cod fish fillets, at least 1" thick, rinse and pat dry with paper towel

Brown Butter Sauce:
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • Italian herbs seasonings (thyme, oregano, rosemary)
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. sugar

Method:

For Pan-Roasting the cod fillets:
Season both sides of the fillet with salt and black pepper.  On side down, add a little white granulate sugar to aid in the crust formation process.  In a non-stick pan, add in oil.  When hot, add in the fillet with the sugar added side down first and time it to a minute.  After one minute, flip it over for a little while.  And finish cooking it in a preheated 425'F oven for 7-10 minutes.  While the fillets are roasting in the oven, prepare the brown butter sauce.

Brown Butter Sauce:
Melt the butter in a saucepan in medium heat.  Keep watch and not to burn the butter.  When brown, add in the minced shallots.  Stir-well.  Add in the Italian herbs seasonings, season with salt and black pepper.  Lastly add in the lemon juice and sugar.  Stir-well and set aside.

Be careful of the hot pan from the oven!!  Take out the fillets and place on a plate and pour the brown butter sauce on top to serve.



12 comments:

Lyñ (My Little Messy N Cheeky) said...

So sorry to hear that you hurt yourself :(
This looks delish & the brown butter sauce sounds yummy! A must try for me coz I'm a fish fanatic loving all kinda fish cooked in any method! LOL

Jocie's Mom said...

Yeouch! That sounds painful. At least the fish looks like it made up for the boo boo in deliciousness :) Thanks for sharing

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sound simple and good!

Home Cooking said...

it looks so tempting ching, i love seafood. and ur recipe is just easy to follow, luv it

chopinandmysaucepan said...

Great looking dish! I love searing fish then roasting in the oven especially salmon, ocean trout or barramundi coz the skin becomes so crispy!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Im glad your hand is alright now! ooh sounds painful, can't imagine as I've only burnt a small part of my hand before and it hurt badly already..

Love cod and the brown butter sauce sounds like the perfect accompaniment :)

Cuisine Paradise said...

Oh No! Hope you are ok. Must be careful next round. Your roast cod fillets look delicious with those toppings.

pigpigscorner said...

Simple and yummy! Do take care next time!

Pete said...

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself. Hope you are ok now.

The cod looks delicious

tigerfish said...

It happened to me quite a number of times too - burning my fingers while touching extremely hot - either the oven tray or the oven interior itself and sometimes even a hot pot! Sigh....

Noob Cook said...

oh dear, I hope your hands are better. I use silicon gloves when taking food in and out of the oven. The brown butter sauce sounds so yummy!

kita said...

What a perfect sounding dinner. Im sorry that you hurt your hands though!!