Monday, August 09, 2010

Pan-Fried Mahi-Mahi in Ginger Soy Sauce


This is a pretty common way of cooking fish in my household.  I created it almost 16 years ago.  I remembered when I first cooked this dish for my parents and sibling 15 years ago when I went back to visit them.  My dad asked me what was the topping?  Okay, I did it slightly different, I added chopped garlic and chopped ginger, the ginger were not in slices back then.  I was surprised back then that he would ask me such a question so til this day, I still remembered it.  The reason being my mom didn't cook him this dish before, so he didn't know what was the topping.  So I had to explain to him what it was and he was supposed to take some of the topping with the fish and eat it with the sauce and rice.  I thought it was real interesting.

Next time when I go back, I need to make an effort to cook for them again.  I didn't do that the last few times because it was too hot, also my girls were little back then.  I really need to make an effort to cook for them.


If you want the recipe, click here.  But instead of using dark soy sauce, I used soy sauce in this, thus the lighter in the sauce color.  I think I added too much water too, or you can thicken it with cornstarch water.  And of course, if you think the ginger amount is too much, use as little as you like.

9 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

Ginger soy is the best sauce for a white fish!

Joy said...

The dish looks great. It have been a while since I had mahi-mahi.

tigerfish said...

I love all the ginger topping! Yum!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

More ginger the merrier for me! It's a very versatile sauce ... can cook with any firm, white fish, I think?

busygran said...

Ginger and garlic - they go very well with fish! I like the strippy ginger topping!

Baking Fiend said...

my mom cooks fish this way too. but I always skip the ginger coz i'm no fan of ginger. love the sauce to go with rice. :)

Noob Cook said...

I love your generous amount of ginger toppings. always love ginger soy sauce for fish.

Unknown said...

i loveee fish cooked this way. these days i try to avoid fish though...cos there were reports that fish sold in hk markets/supermarkets are contaminated T_T so sad...

Food For Tots said...

I start to love ginger now. This dish looks so homey and healthy! ;)