Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fish in Creamy Sauce


We know how important seafood is in our diet.  Among all the seafood, fish is considered the best choice for me as it is affordable, lower in cholesterol compared with the rest of the seafood except scallop & sea cucumber and nutritious.  I love to cook fish twice a week, alternating Salmon and Tilapia.

I used Tilapia in this and to get rid of the fishy smell, I marinated the fish with salt, ShaoXing wine and white pepper.  Of course in my cooking, I got to throw in colorful mixed vegetable for extra fiber.  I added one secret ingredient in this dish, evaporated milk for extra creaminess and fragrant.  Just don't over stir the fish to prevent it from broken out.

Another one of my easy dishes with minimal ingredients.  If you don't have evaporated milk, feel free to substitute it with cream or milk.





Ingredients:

  • 3 fish fillets (I used Tilapia), cut into pieces, marinate with salt, ShaoXing wine and white pepper
  • 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetable, washed and drain, set aside
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced

Sauce:
Salt to taste, 1/2 tsp. sugar,  1 tsp. chicken stock granules, 1/2 cup water, 2 Tbsp. evaporated milk

Thickener:  1 Tbsp. cornstarch + 1 Tbsp. water

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok, when heated add in a little cooking oil.  Add in garlic, stir-fry well, add in mixed vegetable and fry well.

2.  Add in water to cover and fish fillets.  Let it boil and cook the fish fillets.  Add in sauce and season to taste.  Add thickener, careful stir until thicken and serve on a plate.



9 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Haha...I had just cooked a soup with carrots, green peas and sweet corn. Everything looks familiar except for the fish :) Your look delicious. Never tried that before. Would love to try. It's so healthy. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely weekend.

Indonesia Eats said...

Indeed! In South East and East Asians diet, fish and seafood are one of the staple protein :D

I like ocean fish more than the freshwater fish. I recalled since I was a kid it was a bit tricky to find a good freshwater fish. They sometime smell like dirt.


Anyway, love your recipe. Can i have it for lunch.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Such a great recipe! How delicious.

The Cooking Ninja said...

I'm always running out of ideas what to do with white fish filet. :) Now I can cook something like this instead of pan-fry it.

Noob Cook said...

looks creamy and delicious. yes, reminder for me to eat more fish too. I like the evaporated milk tip :)

tigerfish said...

Thanks for the tip. Recently, I used one type of fish (snakehead or Chinese call it "Sang Yee") - after marinating with salt, pepper and wine, it still has a fishy smell :(

daphne said...

I would not have thought of using evaporated milk! I guess it also adds abit of sweetness to it? Great tip!

Food For Tots said...

Hmmmm...great combo! Creamy and tasty! Goes well with anything! Love it for its simplicity too! ;)

pigpigscorner said...

Fish is not exactly cheap here =( and not much choice too.