Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Brie Tuna Wonton


This recipe came about when I decided to create a recipe for brie.  Usually brie is best to serve it with crackers or even toasted English muffin or bagel but I wanted to think outside of the box.   I wanted it a be a healthier combination and also delicious.  So, I created this appetizer or finger food for party or any occasion.

My idea came from cheese wonton but totally different in a sense that I used canned tuna and a slice of brie and some seasoning.  I wrapped it differently too.  After I done deep-frying, it was the taste test time.  I gathered my girls and asked them to try it.  We all loved it and Edda thought it was pork as a filling, LOL!  It's slightly sweet and savory at the same time and brie and tuna came out well together.  It's hard to believe I was actually eating a tuna wonton.


I was at a friend's house during a Chinese New Year Party and she was serving some crackers with Brie as an appetizer.  That was the first time I had brie because I don't normally had cheese in my house or tried any sort of cheeses out there in the market.  My hubby and I were blown away at how creamy and delicious it was but when asked, the host forgot which brand of brie she bought.  I tried one brand in the market and it was not it and tasted horrible. Then, I think I finally found it, it was this Ile De France Le Brie that she was serving at that time.  This cheese was mild and creamy and totally yummy.  This brand is awesome!



Step-by-Step Pictures Guide:

1.  Mixed tuna, scallion, salt and sugar together in a bowl.

2.  Prepare brie cheese as needed.

3.  Take a wonton wrapper and place some tuna in the middle.

4.  Place a piece of brie cheese on top.

5.  Wet your finger with some water and wet all around the edges of the wanton with filling.  Seal it with another piece of wonton skin on top.

6.  When two wonton sealed together, then use a little water and pinch one end together like the above picture.

7.  Use a little water and pinch the other end together like the above picture.  Set on a plate and cover with wet towel/ paper towel and finish the rest of the brie tuna wonton.

8.  Deep-fried in medium heat oil until golden brown and crispy.  Serve warm.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 of 219g of Ile De France Le Brie (54.5g)
  • 1 canned Chunk Light Tuna in oil, drained
  • 1 scallion, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

20 wonton wrappers for wrapping
Oil for deep-frying

Method:

1.  In a bowl, add in drained tuna, salt, sugar and minced scallion.  Stir to mix well.

2.  Prepare brie as needed, cut a small slice to put in the wonton.

3.  Follow the above step-by-step instruction.  Cover the wanton with wet towel while finishing the rest.

4.  Heat up the oil in medium heat and deep-fry until golden brown.  Drain on paper towel and serve warm.

17 comments:

Joyce H. said...

Wow, how creative you are !! Fantastic finger food or party appetizer. You mean not every brand is suitable?

Dory said...

Looks delicious! Not exactly healthy, though. Could you steam these?

Big Boys Oven said...

the first photo looked awesomely gorgeous, love it, amazing beautiful wanton! :)

Pete said...

Interesting recipe for wanton

Mark @ Cafe Campana said...

Yum this looks incredibly tasty. I was just theorising the other day about frying cheese in a wanton skin. Well it can be done. Thanks for proving my theory.

Christina Kim said...

Oooohhh...lovely indeed, too bad I am not that into cheese, but I guess even without the brie, it would taste alright for me, right? =)

mycookinghut said...

This sounds like a great idea!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this look beautiful and good!

ICook4Fun said...

This appetizer reminds me of the crab rangoon from the Asian buffet but yours are so much more luscious specially with the Brie cheese.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Joyce, unless you have a brie brand that you like. The difference can be huge.

Haha Dory, yeah not exactly healthy with deep-fry and brie cheese, just healthier with tuna as a filling. Well, you can try steaming it. But I can't guarantee it will taste just as good.

Thank you BBOven. :)

Thanks Pete, tasted surprisingly good as well.

Thanks Mark and oh yeah it can be done. :) Just not the cheese along, has to accompany by other ingredient.

Christy, I think it will taste delicious without the brie too. ;)

Thanks mycookinghut.

Thanks Sonia.

Gert, this idea came from crab rangoon, over here we called it cheese wanton. Funny eh? When I live in the south east, we called it crab rangoon too, but not here.

Juliana said...

What a great idea for appetizer :-) Love the combination of the Brie cheese and tuna!

tigerfish said...

I enjoy brie cheese a lot. I pair them with tuna before but not in a wonton like that. Must be yummy!

Jo said...

Now this is something truly different. East meets West and this makes it a fusion appertizer. How delightful!

Unknown said...

LOVEEE the idea! must be super mega delicious!

Tebonin said...

Look that bow really pretty. Also your dish..crispy and yummy.

Anonymous said...

This is driving me crazy. Wanton is a word you use when in the throes of passion; wonton is the food you're talking about.

You've given this a very different meaning.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sorry Anon. I have changed it and thanks for letting me know.