Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sweet Lily Buds and Lotus Seeds Soup



This is a pretty common Chinese sweet soup in Malaysia. I know I didn't like this soup when I was little or when I was back in Malaysia. It is just not my thing especially the lotus seeds and lily buds, not something that youngster would like. But as I got older, my taste bud changed as I am more into healthy food these days or food that would provide benefit to my body as to the opposite. I came into this soup again and the benefits of drinking this simple soup really changed my mind about this soup. This soup is said to be supporting heart, nourish kidney, fight memory loss, insomnia, loss of appetite, nourish brain especially for students or white collar workers who need to use brain to think a lot and anti-aging. I believed in Chinese medicinal soup for prevention and overall body wellness so I guess I will cook this sweet soup frequently from now on. Yeah, I thought my girls wouldn't like this soup but surprisingly they both loved it, even finishing all the lotus seeds, longan, wolfberries and lily buds I gave them. I seriously thought they wouldn't eat the lotus seeds and lily buds like when I was young.



Ingredients:

15g dried lotus seeds
15g dried lily buds

10g wolfberries (Goji berries/ Ke chi)

12 red dates

12 dried longan

800-1000 ml water

Rock sugar to taste


You can add 1 or 2 beaten eggs if you like (optional)


Method:

1. Rinse lotus seed, lily bud, red dates, wolfberries, dried longan under running water. In a pot, add in water, let it boil. When boiling, add in the rest of the ingredients except rock sugar.

2. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 2 hours. Add in rock sugar to taste and continue simmering for 10 minutes.


3. Add in beaten eggs (if used) to create egg drop soup effect before serving.




12 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

this is one of my favourite sweet soup, how did you know? :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

simple and delicious soup, i loke this.

Baking Fiend said...

my mom boils this with a huge chunk of ginger... which i always would aviod taking coz i'm not a fan of ginger. :P

Jo said...

I love this soup. Unfortunately I don't make it at home as my hubby is not a soup person. When I was young and my mum would boil this soup, I would be the 1st to scoop up the lily buds and lotus seed ... hmm maybe I was a strange kid!

Noob Cook said...

This is a really nice "tang shui" to enjoy. I didn't used to like lily buds last time too hehe

tigerfish said...

Nice warm sweet soup for winter. Must be quite cold over there right now and this soup should balance up very well.

Food For Tots said...

I love this sweet soup too. Haven't made it for a long time. Maybe will make some during this CNY. ;)

SIG said...

Getting ready for CNY? ;)

daphne said...

I love this cold as well! and yes, when i was younger, i wouldnt like the lotus seeds or sweet lily buds but it grew on me!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha BBOven. ;)

Thanks Sonia.

Oh BF, ginger is a great idea since it's good for us, just that the soup will be on the spicy side.

Jo, my kids also like the lily buds and lotus seeds and they are 5 and 3, so I don't know. :P

Hehe noobcook, I am still not quite use to it but I am beginning to eat it. Last year I was still avoiding it. :P

Thanks Tigerfish, right now is okay, not like the below freezing cold few weeks ago.

F4T, making it for CNY is such a great idea. Thanks, I am going to make some for CNY too. Hehehe...

Hehe SIG, warming up... ;)

Daphne, that's good for both of us. I didn't know it was so beneficial before.

Unknown said...

i love this kinda soup too now...i should make this healthy dessert sometimes (instead of sinful ones hehe)

Anonymous said...

This soup is said to be a cure for cough too....Thanks for sharing.
Shirlynn.