Friday, August 22, 2008

Love Letters Using a Pizzelle Press



Love letters or Kuih Kapit, one of my favorite Chinese Lunar New Year snacks. I was using the Cuisinart Pizzelle Press that I just bought and it only made 4" pizzelle. The size was a bit too small to fold it into a triangle or fan shape. If I rolled them into egg roll shape then it would take up a lot of storage space. So, keeping it just the way it is was the way to go for me. As you can see, it was tinted green, that was because I added Pandan extract. I simply love the smell of Pandan (screwpine leaves) so I couldn't help myself from adding some.



Pretty thin right? Of course it was not as thin as the traditionally kuih kapit but this was easier to do. You can get the kuih kapit recipe from Amy Beh (Kuali) if you are interested. I shall try the Pizzelle recipe provided by Cuisinart in my next attempt to see the difference. Oh I learned this tips of using the Pizzelle Press to make Love Letter through J from Singapore. Kuih Kapit is one of my favorite CNY cookies so I was thrilled to learn of this tips. Now owning my own Pizzelle press, I can make this thicker, non-traditional kuih kapit version anytime I feel like eating them. Great! ^.^

Note:  it turned soft after it's cooled down.  I had to toast it in the toaster oven to make it crisp again.

21 comments:

Beachlover said...

Very creative!!buying kuih kapit here is very expensive!!.I don't have the chance to get some kuih kapit mold back with me..Now I know what to look for.Thanks for the tips:))

Anonymous said...

This is just so lovely, would you share more on PandaN

Jin Hooi said...

ohh..I love Kuih Kapit too !!! Thanks for sharing the useful tips, I have to find myself a Pizzelle Press!!!

Baking Fiend said...

This is one of my cny favourites too! :P

SIG said...

It's like CNY all over again. ;)

Mandy said...

this is so clever! THanks for the tip. I love love letters too. I need to try this out. BTW, how much does thepizzelle press cost?

Salt N Turmeric said...

i prefer kuih kapit to love letters tht they have here. eventho theyr supposed to be the same they actually taste different.

i like your simpler version too. easier to make and store and eat. ;)

ICook4Fun said...

This is so pretty!! I like my kueh kapit thick so using Pizzelle Press is such a great idea. By the way where did you get your pizzelle press?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow beachlover, didn't know you get to buy kuih kapit at your place. Here want to buy also cannot get.

Hi Girl Japan, I gave you a link for Pandan info. also the picture of the pandan paste that I used.
http://importfood.com/spco1105.html

You're welcome Lao Cha! :)

Hehe baking fiend. *high 5*

Hehe SIG, not quite lah! :P

Thanks Mandy. The pizzelle press costs around $39.99-$49.99.

Thanks salt n turmeric. I used the kuih kapit batter to make this, so it has coconut & Pandan smell, very fragrant but thicker version. :P

Thanks Gert! I bought my Cuisinart Pizzelle Press at Bed Bath & Beyond. It was selling for $39.99 but I have a $10 off coupon. If not with 20% off, also make it the cheapest around I think.

Anonymous said...

Awesome and thank you so much for the link-

Unknown said...

i love having two of them and pretending to be a duck quacking hehehe

Anonymous said...

aww! i havent had these in years! brings back some fond memories. i hear when making love letters into those rolled up tubes, there's a breathing method one must follow so that the tube does not collapse. Is that myth or fact? :) x

Kana said...

I adore love letters/kuih kapit but have never attempted making it. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I think I would prefer it thin like this instead of the usual rolled up type ;) great tip! They are gorgeousss

Anonymous said...

Ur pizzelle love letters look awesome! I'll like to read more on the tips abt using the pizzelle press to make love letters - can u please provide a link to J's blog?

Thks in advance,
Becky

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Becky,
I didn't provide a link because I lost touch with J already. She made it once in front of me years ago when she visited US. Sorry!

Kana said...

this is great! no folding required.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Maya. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching,

Is ur pizzelle maker - Cuisinart WM-PZ2 Pizzelle Press? Can u advise whts the wattage or amps it uses? Thinking of buying one...

Susanna

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Susanna,
Yes, that's my Cuisinart model. It has 120V 60 Hz or 1000W.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ching,
Thks for a very quick reply - as always! :)) I really appreciate and admire u for having time and effort to share so many wonderful recipes in ur blog, answering so many of ur readers queries and raising 2 young kids!! Ur a Super mum!!

Thks heaps!
Susanna