Saturday, September 02, 2006

Seafood Gumbo

I have some brats left from the July 4th BBQ, so I thought I will make gumbo out of it. This is my first time making a gumbo and I used Paula Deen's Savannah Seafood Gumbo recipe. It has good reviews and I have most of the ingredients so I gave this a try.



This is half of Paula Deen recipe since it's only two of us. Still yield 4 servings.

Ingredients:

1/8 cup oil
3 Tbp. all-purpose flour
(A)
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (I used red)
1/2 cup celery, diced (I didn't have this)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
(B)
2 cup chicken broth
1/2 Tbp. Chicken base (I used chicken granules)
(C)
1 1/2 cup water
1 bay leaf
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/6 cup dried parsley
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. House Seasoning {consisted of 1 cup salt + 1/4 cup black pepper + 1/4 cup garlic powder} ( I just sprinkled some salt, black pepper and garlic powder)
1 Tbp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes or 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
(D)
2 cup sliced Cajun-Style fresh link sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I used brats)
2 cup cut okra (fresh or frozen)
(E)
1 cup oysters & liquid (I omitted this)
1/4 pound crabmeat (I omitted this)
3/4 pound fresh peeled shrimps
1 1/2 cup bay scallops

File powder (for thickening) (I omitted this)

Method:

1. In a large pot, combine oil and flour. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the roux has browned to a light chocolate color.

2. Add (A), saute for 2-3 mins, stirring constantly. Slowly add (B), stirring as you go. Add (C).

3. Add (D). Cover pot and let it simmer for 1-1.5 hour (I simmer for 1 hour, but if it's all seafood, 30-45 mins would do, so that the okra can still be in pieces.), stirring occasionally. Add (E). Simmer for an additional 15 mins. Serve over hot rice.

4. Sprinkle file powder on individual bowl, stir in before serving (Find this unnecessary as it was thick enough).

My Note:

It's actually a very good recipe, quite delicious. But next time I will omit the sausage and add chicken breasts instead. No oyster because hubby won't touch it. Will substitute the House seasoning with Old Bay seasoning. More okra would be nice too, since I love veggie. Definitely would make this again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe and pic. I add diced ham and chicken in my gumbo, and it's very good. Try that next time. ;-)

kaezrin said...

it was a great recipe....

i'm hungry now

Little Corner of Mine said...

VH, nice time you cook your version for me lah. ;) I don't know how to buy and eat ham so never venture into that section of meat. But I bet you can cook killer gumbo.

Thanks Kaezrin and welcome to my blog! :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oops, nice time pulak, I meant next time! Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

I love gumbo! I've only had it once in a restaurant and never attempted to make it at home! It looks pretty complicated but so yummy! way to go!